Predictions Schoolchildren Learn in Bootling (TM) Land
- Marshall McLuhan (1964):
- Persons grouped around a fire or candle for warmth or light are less able
to pursue independent thoughts or even tasks than people supplied with
electric light. In the same way, the social and educational patterns latent in
automation are those of self-employment and artistic autonomy.
- Norbert Weiner (1950):
- Let us remember that the automatic machine . . . is the precise
economic equivalent of slave labor. Any labor that competes with slave labor must
accept the economic consequences of slave labor.
- Thomas Aquinas (d. 1274), as cited by Friedrich Nietzsche:
- Beati in regno coelesti videbunt poenas damnatorum ut beatitudo illis
- Primo Levi (1982):
- If I'm not for myself, who will be for me?
- If not this way, how? And if not now, when?
- Robert Frost (1915):
- Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
- They have to take you in.
- Charles Darwin (On the Origin of the Species):
- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most
intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
- The early bird gets the worm. The second mouse gets the cheese.